The HOKMA College of General Education was newly launched in 2015 with the goal of providing a future-oriented general education. HOKMA College aims to expose students to a wide variety of subjects, interests and approaches, so that they learn to be creative global leaders equipped with diverse proficiencies and capabilities, practical leaders who will meet the changing demands of society, and sympathetic leaders of the community who will foster a spirit of collaboration and harmony. The acronym HOKMA is based on the Hebrew words for "wisdom", "intelligence", "discernment", and "varied knowledge." Not simply confined to theoretical knowledge, “Hokma” aptly captures the practical wisdom and direction that Ewha's general education is aiming for. Through the four required academic years, students will take five mandatory or elective areas of general education to cultivate five different core competences. Students will be encouraged to integrate their specialized knowledge acquired in their own majors with skills and capabilities acquired through diverse courses and programs offered in HOKMA College.
|Established Experimental College.
|Developed Leading Liberal Arts Courses.
|Launched learner-oriented liberal arts programs Developed Integrative Education Courses.
|Introduced Subject-Integrated Model general education courses Selected as the Best College in General Education by Korea Council for University Education.
|Suggested New General Education Program to meet the challenges of the globalized world.
|Established ‘The Center for General Education’ Introduced ‘Core General Education Model’ and reformed general education program.
|Reformed General Education Program - Basic General Education Courses: to foster ethical sensibilities and to improve communication skills, - Core Liberal Arts Courses: to strengthen convergence abilities to integrate knowledge from diverse sources and fields.
|Established the HOKMA College of General Education. Developed need-based general education. Reinforced convergence and self-designed general education. Customized general education to the demands of colleges and departments.
Curriculum 5 major areas
- Humanize yourself (Ewha Truth⋅Goodness⋅Beauty (Personality): Basic Humanities courses based on the combination of theory and applications.
- Open your future (Future Planning): Career designing courses for career and leadership development.
- Know the world (Global Communication): English and second foreign language courses for global communication skills.
- Multiply your competence (Creative Convergence): Convergence thinking enhancement courses to develop creative problem-solving skills.
- Analyze your thinking (Thinking and Expression): Effective communication skills courses to cultivate basic and professional skills.
Learning Objectives: 5 Core Competences
- The Competence of Knowledge Quest: The competence of understanding humanity, society and nature, learning diverse methods of knowledge acquisition, and examining the meanings and values of knowledge.
- The Competence of Creative Convergence: The competence of integrating existing knowledge and information, making creative and original contributions to the society and connecting diverse areas of knowledge to foster new ideas.
- The Competence of Culture and Art: The competence of understanding and appreciating culture and art to facilitate creative achievements.
- The Competence of Global Citizenship: The competence of acquiring language skills for global communication, inspiring civic consciousness for constructive cooperation in the globalized world, and understanding diverse cultural differences and issues to offer solutions.
- The Competence of Coexistence and Empathy: The competence of understanding multiple perspectives and flexibly adapting to different or unfamiliar social environments.